Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To: God
Re: Sex Education

You have such a bad view of religion. Maybe there are some people out there who use it as a means of control, but by and large it gives hope and meaning to a lot of people’s lives. I don’t know how I would have coped all these years without it.


Religion might control people, but it stops (or at least, it used to stop) a lot of bad things happening. Casual sex, murder, adultery, stealing, all things that the Bible is against and things that happen all the time now.


Back in the old days there was no sex education. It’s only in the past few decades they’ve really started teaching anything about it. It might not be directly linked, but it’s in the past few decades that there’s been so much of a problem with STDs, teenage pregnancies and things like that. Single mothers and illegitimate children are commonplace now. Not too long ago, you would have been an outcast if you got pregnant when you were unmarried with your partner, let alone not even knowing who the father is with a lot of women these days.


It’s getting to the point now where it’s so out of control they’re giving out contraception and the morning after pill and all sorts in schools to kids as young as 11 now. That’s just not right. It sends out the message to kids that it’s fine for them to go out and have sex because there are official people at their school who will make it alright for them to do so. They teach kids sex education, and then they want to go out and try it for themselves. It’s sad that these days some girls are grandmothers by the time they’re 30. We can debate whether or not it’s immoral, but it’s definitely irresponsible.


There’s even some people saying that children as young as five should be taught sex education. Why? What do children need to know about sex when they’re five years old? The girls at that age aren’t going to hit puberty for at least another 6 or 7 years, and the boys probably another few years more than that. By the time you get to secondary school, there’s some biological stuff that you need to know, but even then the majority of kids that age aren’t mature or responsible enough to take anything more than that seriously. It’s no wonder with all this that the UK has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe.


How are you supposed to think about falling in love? That’s not how love works. Love isn’t a rational thing. It’s about when you have the need to be with someone. You can’t think about it.


I have every reason to be uncomfortable with Gabriel watching me. Anywhere else it probably wouldn’t bother me that much, but in the shower is private and personal and I don’t want her watching me. I wouldn’t even let my boyfriend watch me in the shower, so I definitely don’t want Gabriel watching. I find it hard to believe Gabriel would get bored of watching me.


Gabriel, don’t be gone too long. I don’t know how much of Camael I can take. Jack’s keeping me in a good mood. I don’t want Camael to ruin it for me.


-Poppy


No comments: