Sunday, June 15, 2008

To: God
Re: Positive Experiences

Wow, what a week this has been. After last week too, I can’t believe how amazing this week has turned out to be. At least for this week, my life is beginning to make up for itself.


Well, if a load of angels have nothing else better to do than follow my life, I’d better not disappoint them. Mum always used to tell me that everyone has an angel watching over them. Looks like I’ve got several.


Gabriel, do you remember Jack? He was the guy you left me with while you went on your ill-fated quest to get the DJ at the club to give the dance music a rest and play Yellow Submarine instead (I asked Michael if you were drunk then, and he said that that was just the way you act all the time). Anyway, we swapped phone numbers and he phoned me yesterday and we spent ages talking to each other. It turns out we have a lot in common. His parents got divorced two years ago and he lives with his mum and his sister now, and he’s been a Christian since they split up. After we’d been talking for about an hour, we found out that we both live on the same street! To be fair though, it is a really long street. After that, we decided to meet up since it was silly to be on the phone to each other when we were that close. We hung around with each other until about 8, but then he had to take his sister to her drama club (his mum can’t drive because she has epilepsy). So, I went home then, but he phoned me again later and asked if I wanted to go out with him somewhere, and we ended up at one of the pubs in town, which was really good fun. It was nice to meet someone who was worse at pool than I am. I didn’t think such a person existed. My aim is terrible. We both walked home together (it was amazing how much we had to talk about – we’d been talking pretty much the whole day) and it was almost midnight by the time I got home.


I wasn’t intending to go to church today because I’d had a late night, but he phoned me up and asked if I wanted to go with him. I don’t know how he manages to be out on a Saturday night and still be up and wide awake for church the next morning. Our street is just about an even distance between two churches – he normally goes to one and I go to the other, which is why we’d never seen each other before. We had a long debate over who was going to go to the others’ church, but in the end he came with me to my church. In the end, they’re all teaching more or less the same thing. It’s the first time I’ve been to church and enjoyed it in quite a while now.


I really enjoyed being around Jack. I think he enjoyed being with me too. From what I can gather he doesn’t have too many friends either. That’s probably why when we both got together we had so much to talk about. It was nice to have someone to be able to talk about my life to and have them know how you feel, and at the same time have someone to just talk about random unimportant stuff with too.


I’ve had such a mad week this week that I totally forgot it was father’s day today. I didn’t remember until we were in the church and the sermon was about fathers. Normally I force myself to get a card for my dad, but I decided not to this year. I could have gone out and got one after church, but I didn’t. Father’s day is supposed to be about letting your dad know how much he means to you, but now I don’t live my life by the Ten Commandments as much as I used to, it’s my choice whether or not I honour my mother and father, and I don’t honour my father. I do my best to ignore him, and that’s as far as the honour goes now.


Gabriel, I would have loved to have seen Damien after all that. There’s a sick part of me inside that wants to see all the photos you took. If they’re on his phone, I expect he’s deleted them by now though. At least I still have this one to laugh at though. I knew there had to be more to the story than you were going to tell me the other night. Just putting Damien in a dress and leaving him somewhere didn’t quite seem like you on its own. When you came to my house, you were laughing far too much for that to have been it.


Nice job on that.


All these late nights recently are catching up on me now. I think I’m going to have to call it a night.


-Poppy


No comments: